House of Dolls

Monday, May 30, 2016



“You are a doll” I heard
and with blushing cheeks I twirl in my frock
covered in frills and ribbons.
Nine I was, nine dolls I owned,
pretty ones with beautiful shoes and clothes
and a doll house of their own.

“You are a doll”, said mother
she’d brush my curly hair
she’d buy me pretty dresses with laces and elastics
she’d buy me shiny shoes with buckles.

The beautiful dusk settled
the house smelled of warm soup and bread
hosting an imaginary wedding was I lost in my house of dolls.

All so blurry but vivid,
I hear screams and wails
I hear her begging, pleading
I hear her silence.
“You are a doll”, said father
the foul smell of cheap red
his staggering walks dragging me out the house
swollen blue was her face
lying on the kitchen floor, unmoving
did she die?

Eighteen I am, nine years past
all made up and dressed in this house
this ‘house of dolls’ they name
how it smells of rotting grapes.
And everyday my mistress brushes my hair
and everyday the strange men shut the door behind
“You are a doll”, they say.

-Jyotsna Yogi

You Might Also Like

1 comments